Thursday, May 6, 2010

Acid-Reflux

So, the reason I had all the time to write the posts today was because I had a GI scope to figure out what is wrong with my stomach.
I am enjoying a wonderful and beautiful (100 degrees!) day off.

For the past 6 months I get nauseous or severe heartburn after most of my meals. I'm not talking once in awhile, I'm talking every day or every other day. I went to the doctor in January, I've been on 4 different medications since then and nothing was working. Finally, during the 5th month (gov't healthcare, hooray!) I was able to get a referral off-base to get a scope. I was rather nervous going into the scope because I had never been sedated for anything. Thankfully, the last thing I remember is talking about how popular of a name Josh was with the doctor. Not even a minute later I was out like a light. I don't remember waking up at the doctor's office at all. I don't remember the car ride at all. I don't remember going to taco bell and asking for a water, dr. pepper, and sierra mist (sierra mist is yuck!). I don't remember leaving taco bell and saying OH! JACK AND JILL! (the donut place). I do remember wobbling up the stairs, falling into bed and waking up to Josh telling me everything and handing me a donut. It sounds like he had an entertaining time.

So far I've had labwork and an ultrasound, both came back normal. With the scope down the throat they were able to see that I had pretty bad reflux. They also took some biopsies and are testing for bacterial issues. Thankfully, the stomach and esophagus look good. Unfortunately, I received a more thorough list of what I should avoid eating/drinking or as they say "may cause distress." The list just keeps getting bigger:

-Chocolate
-Milk
-Orange Juice
-Tomato Juice (which I LOVE!)
-COFFEE! (Decaf has even more acid in it)
-Alcohol
-High fatty foods (including donuts...oops!)
-Pies, cookies, cakes, ice cream
-Bacon, butter, vegetable oils
-Oranges, LEMMONS!! tangerines, pineapple
-Fried meat, poultry, eggs, lunch meat, hot dogs
-French fries, potato chips
-Pasta with cream sauces
-Pasta with tomato sauces (I LOVE TOMATO SAUCE!)
-Pizza
-Tomatoes or tomato products
-Spices and herbs in tomato-based sauces
-Chili
-Jalapeno peppers

I've had this for the past 6 months, it is literally changing everything I eat. Pretty much everything I love is on that list. I'm going to need some heavy duty medicine because there is no way I am giving up all of that!!

3 comments:

Dave said...

My dad takes a little purple pill that works wonders (can't remember the name right now). He's had to have several minor surgeries on his esophagus to remove scar tissue. But you're right, that list has all the good stuff in it. Hope you're doing better!

GroverFamily said...

im sorry that you are going through this! i had the worest heart burn/reflux with both my boys...i would just have a glass of water and it would feel like my esophagus was on fire, it was so painful. i hope they get something to help you!

Erin said...

I think it would be easier to tell you what you could eat! I will be praying for you, I know this is no fun!!