Sunday, August 9, 2009

B-1 Red Carpet Day

So far Josh has had 4 flights in the B-1, and he really loves it. 
He's flown through Texas, Utah, New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona. Next week he has flights 5 and 6 (weather permitting). Both will be night flights, meaning he won't get home until around 1am. The program is only 11 flights, so he's 'flying' through pretty quickly!

Here is a picture of what I thought was Josh taking off on his first flight. I was able to see it during my lunch break, but it turns out Josh took off 2 hours later than expected, so it's not him.

A couple weeks ago we had Josh's Red Carpet ceremony. This basically means we get to go onto the flight line (120 degrees), check out the jet (probably about 150 degrees), watch some take off, and mess around in the sims (sorry the didn't allow cameras in the sims). They even had blue lights in the squadron to indicate that civilians were in the building and to not talk about "top secret stuff."
Here are some pics.

Here is someone about to take off.



This is one of the bomb bays. They can drop a ridiculous amount of bombs in very little time. Below has to be the worst picture of us ever, but ah well!




These planes are huge, but not huge inside because they keep most of the room for fuel and bombs. I'm pretty biased I know, but I've seen quite a few planes take off, and so far, nothing is as cool and as loud as the B-1. 
If you want to see more pics, here are some from when the B-1 came to Mississippi last year.


Here are some more pics courtesy of google.
This is with the wings swept back. They have the option of changing them to go faster. Below is wings out. The coolest thing is watching them turn. Oh and the after burner. 
I love it!


This one has obviously seen better days, but this shows them dropping a few bombs.

Finally, this past weekend was Squadron night. This is where the students find out which squadron they are going to. There are two in SD, and one in Abilene. Since we knew we were staying here, it really wasn't a surprise for Josh. But, anyways, he received his new patch and name tag for the 9th bomb squadron, the bats. 


Kind of a boring patch I think. Ah well! He will move to the 9th once he is done with training. And that's the update on his training!

Here is a youtube video of the b-1 taking off. I'd upload my own but it takes forever on here!

1 comment:

GroverFamily said...

i think the b-1 is the loudest too!