This is our new home on base at Laughlin. I'd show you pictures of the inside but both, not one, but both of my camera's are dead. The chargers are hidden in who knows what box. Plus, it's still a little cluttered with boxes.
This house, though built in the early 70's is in really great condition. We have new tile, new carpet, freshly khaki painted walls, a perfect size backyard, green grass (for now), and a distant view of the hilly Mexican border from our backyard. We are on the corner of a very quiet and friendly street. Also, because it's privatized, we only have to mow our fenced in backyard. This should take about a half hour compared to our nearly 2 hour mowing escapades at Dyess!
I have a completely random cabinet area in the living room that I've turned into my office space, it is absolutely perfect. Also, in our office, there is another random counter/cabinet space, perfect for my magnet stuff! Our master bedroom is much larger than our Dyess one. We also have one of the largest walk-in closets our leasing agent had seen on base. The house also came with a nice built-in microwave to save on the counter space.
The biggest problem we have now, isn't necessarily a bad problem. Remember all that wall space we had to fill at Dyess? Well, we now have an enormous amount of pictures with quite a bit less wall space. That should be interesting!
The base seems to be incredibly lax compared to others. They didn't check the inside of our Penske truck, they didn't make the Dish guy get a pass, from walking the dogs yesterday they don't give tickets for small swimming pools or unmowed grass . There are also plenty of houses with tire swings and benches hanging from the trees.
We haven't visited the city much, but we have quite a bit of time to do so. I know that Abilene was incredibly friendly, and so far we'd say the same about Del Rio. From our leasing agent, to the HEB clerk, to the McDonald's cashier, to the Dish installer, everyone has been awesome!
It is incredibly different to be a minority. The Air Force people stick out like a sore thumb! I am definitely going to be learning some Spanish. It is weird seeing so many Spanish words everywhere. Thank God I don't have to find a job here.
Needless to say, I think we are going to really enjoy this place :)
2 comments:
Those weird cabinet/counter things are called built-ins. Now you know! :) looks super cozy!
Hooray!! And we just found out recently that some good friends of ours will be joining you down there shortly!
Post a Comment