Wednesday, December 3, 2008

December already?

When it's sunny and 75 it's hard to think that Christmas is just around the corner. I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving! We spent our Thanksgiving morning serving food for the homeless/veterans/city people. It was a very touching experience and it really fills your heart with joy to help out so many people! The doors opened at 11 and we served a buffet line straight til 1! There were so many volunteers to help out so we had to take the initiative to start our own task. I spotted a huge container of coffee a mile away going untouched, what nonsense!! So, I suggested to Josh that we just grab cups and ask people if they want it. Since he doesn't drink coffee he passed out the cups and I asked if they wanted sugar or creamer. We had a wonderful time :) That afternoon we had a great Thanksgiving dinner with a the Hutchinsons and their friends Tara and John. We had a great time and had soooo much food!

We also looked for a church this past weekend. It's hard because there are so many here and we've had such great churches in the past. It's never fun to start over. So, Josh found a church that was associated with the Willowcreek foundation (great churches). We went to it this past weekend and it made me want to cry! As soon as we walked in, no one really said hi and the people didn't look very friendly. We got there right as service started. They started playing a Christmas song and I didn't really like the way they were singing it. After thinking about it, I realized I was being really judgmental and negative which isn't what God wants people to be like in church. So, I said a quick little prayer asking God to take away my negativity. The very next song was one of my favorite songs from Hope. Immediately, I wanted to cry, not only because I missed everyone we met in Columbus, but because at that minute I really felt like God was taking control and comforting me. The next songs were great as well, and they have a really awesome worship band. The sermon was great too, hard to summarize, I'll try read this:

Daniel Story

Not to contradict this story, but we had a great Black Friday :) We stood in line at 6am to get into Kmart, I'm glad we did, we got a great gift for someone. We also got a great vacuum. The shopping is kinda spread out here so it didn't seem like too much chaos. I enjoyed myself.

Lastly, after almost 3 years of having our used and odd colored Lazy Boy couch (I'm sure you may remember it) we've decided to move up to some nicer furniture. Our couch now has a gigantic tear in it but it has treated us well. We made enough from our DITY move to pay for our new couch. We get it tomorrow! We''re getting two of the big couches, not the recliner things.


I hope I can take some pictures of how we're slowly making this place our home. My laptop does not always let me upload my pictures. Josh's computer has been completely dead for a month now. Anyways, I should get to doing something other than blogging.
Thanks for reading!!

2 comments:

Amber said...

Hey I wanted to say hi to you... Ann told me you were moving to Abilene... I used to live with some girls that she grew up with. Anyways... my husband and I are in abilene as well and he is a flight engineer in the 40th. I just got here in Abilene so Im new to the area too. Just wanted to say hello and welcome!

Angela said...

Cool couches!!

How would you feel about attending an LDS church? We love that we don´t have to worry about what church to go to because there´s always an LDS church for every area in the world! Just a suggestion.

Can´t wait to see pictures of your home. Isn´t it soooo nice being able to get rid of your old college furniture and feel grown up? =)