Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The fiasco at work...

A couple weeks ago we had a shooting happen right in front of work. Here's the newspaper article if you want to know more about it. http://www.cdispatch.com/articles/2008/03/11/local_news/local01.txt..txt

Basically, I was just about to be off from work when some guy (a customer at the attached fitness place) comes in and starts yelling for the police chief who happened to be working out that day. Immediately I knew something was up because the guy was yelling like crazy that someone had been shot. So, the police chief runs out to the parking lot to get his gun while risking the possibility of getting shot. At this time all of the employees, including myself rushed to the huge glass windows to see what was going on. We saw the tall black man, 70 years old, dressed in all black walking through the parking lot, towards our building, like nothing had happened after he had just shot 2 people. (Later we found out that it was his wife and her love affair that were shot.) So, when I actually see the guy, I flip out, especially after hearing about the Lane Bryant thing in Chicago. I'm thinking to myself, what do I do? What if its just someone with no motive shooting up the place? Am I going to lock myself in a stock room and wait for him to come get us? Then we hear gunshots as the police and this guy are duking it out in the parking lot. It was then when I decided to run out the side door because I saw where the guys were shooting and I knew I could make it to my car harmlessly (I'd hope). Luckily I did. I drove off and headed towards home. On the way, I stopped in the Kmart parking lot so I could settle down a little bit and I called back at work and asked if they needed me to come back. She said no, but to be careful because the shooter stole a cop car and was driving around Columbus. Pretty creepy because its a little town, so on the way home all I see are police cars. One, just happened to pass me going the opposite way of the shooting which I thought was odd. But then as about 6 police cars are heading towards this one car, the police car who had just passed me decides to pull a u-turn in the middle of the busy road and storm off the other way. So, I don't know if that was the guy or not, but it was creepy. Luckily no one was killed, 4 people were shot including the suspect, who is now in jail on a 1.02 million dollar bail. Hopefully, I won't have to go through that again. To this day I wonder if I had made the right decision leaving, because I was "in charge." My boss tells me it was the dumbest thing I could have done and compared it to a flight attendant leaving the plane as its crashing. Josh says it was the smartest thing I could have done. Hind sight is always 20/20.

No comments: