Monday, January 26, 2015

Walmart Savings Catcher / Bluebird

 

This is a nice thing that you probably won't get rich off of, but it's free money that eventually adds up, so why not?

My personal experience: I live in Del Rio, we have a Walmart, HEB, a plethora of dollar stores, and a CVS coming soon. I've scanned in 9 receipts since November and I've received a total of $1.90 back. I really wish this would compare prices with the commissary, where I do most of my shopping, but it does not. However, if you read testimonials on other sites, people do make quite a bit of extra money, just for scanning a receipt.

All you do:
1. Download the Savings Catcher app on your phone.
2. After making a purchase, scan the barcode at the bottom of your receipt (don't through it away just yet, sometimes it doesn't always go through the first time). Also, I think you need to scan the receipt within 7 days of the purchase.
3. Within a couple of days, Walmart will check the prices on your items and compare them to other local retailers. It will also give you the option of cashing in your savings once they find them.
4. This also keeps an electronic copy of your receipt on the app, so my folder of "keep the receipt just in case" is shrinking :)

I blindly use this app and don't pay attention to much of the details. However, this blog does a really good job of detailing the specifics about the program if you're interested, thanks SimplisticallyLiving.com.

In addition, thanks to Hip2Save.com (follow them on facebook for AWESOME deals), I've learned that if you have or sign up for the Bluebird card at Walmart (not a credit card) you can cash in and DOUBLE your savings catcher money earned. This is only valid til February 28, 2015. Here's more info on the bluebird/savings catcher bonus. And here is more info on what Bluebird actually is, it looks like a bank card without the bank and fees. It's also backed by Consumer Reports. https://www.bluebird.com/

I do not plan on using bluebird since the promo ends in February.

Again, if you live in a small town, with not many options other than Walmart, you probably won't make but a few pennies at a time. But, it's free pennies and pennies make dollars :)

1 comment:

Aimee said...

While the idea of saving money is fantastic and I applaud it, I highly suggest not supporting WalMart's price match policy. When they price match, the money comes from the pocket of the company that made such product. It does not affect Walmart in any way shape or form. Also, when they accept a return for "any reason", it again comes out of the company's pocket. They put all the returns in a storage warehouse and then charge the company rent. Once it's full, they give them only a few days notice to come pick up their items or they will be destroyed, plus an unexpected rent bill for that space. So why do companies still deal with Walmart? Because by selling to such a big retailer they can lower price points of production by placing larger orders for product. Many companies actually lose money working with Walmart. This comes directly from a connection I have in Walmart corporate. I don't say this to disparage you from shopping at Walmart, because I know as well as you that sometimes that is the only option when you are living in crazy places! Just wanted to let you know so you were aware :)