Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Distance makes the heart grow fonder

I'm so happy that our old squadron has been reunited after their long deployment! Though it is so bittersweet as it means our South Dakota friends are now out on deployment.

For us, no deployments are in our near future (maybe 2014). Though, Josh is leaving soon for some officer training. Thankfully, it's only about two months and I get to see him at the half way point. I knew that marrying into the military would mean we would have to be apart for some time. So far we've had 2 months apart in Kansas, 1 month in MS, 6.5 months in Abilene, and now 2 months here. When you think about it, 7 years together and only about 1 year apart from each other. Doesn't sound too bad! Especially when you compare it to other military situations. We have been blessed. I actually feel really silly writing about this since it is seriously, only two months.

Anyways, I think it takes a certain couple to be able to withstand the distance. There's definitely a big difference between being separated for a few days and a few months. I've learned that although it is different to be without your husband for awhile, it's also pretty awesome. It really gives you the chance to remember how much you appreciate your spouse. It also gives you a chance to miss them more than usual. It makes you really appreciate the blessings that God has given you in your marriage, most importantly trust and respect. If you do it right, you learn to do life "without" them, and you learn to do it with class and not make it a pity party.

There's never a time that we've been in a set schedule for months, or years at a time. There is no 8-5 in the military as a pilot. I think that keeps our life and marriage interesting. As a spouse, you learn to keep yourself entertained whether it's 5 or 12 hour work days. You learn how to be your own person. You learn how to readjust when they come back.

And with each reunion is another honeymoon, and that can only be good for a marriage :)

No comments: