Monday, June 18, 2012

And now it's June

I never knew how time could be so fast and yet so slow at the same time. Especially, when I pretty much spend all day at home, usually by myself, trying to find some work to do. My workload for my real job, thanks to the lower price of natural gas or whatever, has been diminishing to nearly 10-15 hours a week. Quite a change from 30-40 hours. So, I've decided to focus more of my time on my magnet business. A few months ago, I broke my "break-even point" and have been making some slow, but nice profit. However, it is a lot of work! BUT, with nothing but time on my hands, I've got the time to work. I had debated finding another job to do on the side, but really, my current job pays extremely well and to find something that pays well (without being bilingual) is pretty much impossible here in Del Rio. So, we've decided to keep only the job I have, and pushing on a little stronger with magnets. Praying this helps fill my time :)

What else have I been doing with my time? Well, surprisingly, I've been transforming into a little house wife, keeping a clean house, trying new recipes, walking the dogs, and hitting the gym here and there. For those that know me well, house cleaning has been a struggle of mine for quite sometime. However, with a smaller one-story house, mainly carpeted floors, and tons of time available, cleaning hasn't been too terrible. I think this is a reason Josh is fine with my current work situation! haha.

Also, I've started reading the Hunger games! I'm about halfway through book three and I'm hooked. It's a great series.

As for Josh, he's been teaching students for a couple weeks now. To say that he loves it, would be a strong understatement. The hours are definitely long, 12-13 hours a day with 2-3 flights/day (no exaggeration), but he's enjoying what he is doing. It didn't take long for him to fail a student on a ride either. He helped that one get ready for his next check ride and he passed with one of the highest scores possible. SO, not only is he loving his job, he's also good at it. Is that really a shocker?

Del Rio is definitely an adjustment for me. There is very little to do off base. The base itself is not as social as I had hoped, but we are making great friends here and there. They have limited resources compared to other places we've been, no base theater, no thrift shop, airman's attic, post office, food court, and limited hours on the commissary. It's so quiet here, they've even toyed with the idea of closing down the BX! It is also extremely hot and humid. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I can't be outside for longer than 10 minutes before I feel like I'm sweating like a pig and have to go inside. Even the night doesn't offer relief, we usually reach mid 90s by 1pm, and then don't get under 90 again til around 10pm. I also can't really remember the last good rain we had. I've never craved fall so much as I have this summer (which hasn't even officially started yet!).

Good things though, I'm going breakfast with a group of girls on Fridays. I'm going to a women's Bible study on Tuesdays. And we have made friends with boats :) The lake here is beautiful!! Also, the movies off base are $3.50 for a matinee and $5.25 for "prime time" HUGE change from Abilene! But, as we've been told and realized ourselves, being in a largely Hispanic city, your movies (no matter what rating) are almost always accompanied with screaming/talking kids. So, that's fun.

We've still been hunting for the perfect church and have come to the realization that it won't happen here. As many people here do, we will have to "settle" for much less than we have ever had for a church. It's hard to cope with that, so pray for peace with that issue.

I think you are about caught up!!

No comments: